Snack ideas for Labour:
[In the previous post we discussed why calories during labour may help prevent medical interventions, for more information on that please refer to the previous post]
During labour the body is working hard and contractions require a huge amount of energy.
The things to keep in mind about food during labour:
- The body prefers energy derived from easily accessible carbohydrates during physical exertion.
- Maintaining blood glucose levels are important so opt for complex carbohydrate foods and combine them with protein.
- The body is not prioritising metabolism during labour so opt for easily digestible meals and snacks.
- Hydration is Key! water/ coconut water or a home made labour-ade. Add a liquid calcium/magnesium mix to these fluids to aid muscle contraction & relaxation.
Some ideas for early labour or pre-labour
(still have an appetite, building energy stores for later stages of labour, combined with protein for slowly releasing carbohydrates)
- Brown rice & beans
- Pasta & cottage cheese & basil pesto
- Nuts (almonds, cashews, brazil nuts ) & fruit (grapes, berries)
- Banana/apple & Peanut butter
- Avocado on whole grain toast/crackers
- Yogurt & fruit/cereal
- Bagel & cheese/cream cheese/salmon/nut butter
- Baked apples, honey, cinnamon & cream/ice cream
- Yogurt & fruit smoothie
- Carrot sticks & hummus
Some ideas for snacks in case of nausea / vomiting:
- Cold foods (raw veg sticks or fruit, salad)
- Dry toast
- Jelly/ jell-O (depending what you know it as 🙂
- Blnd foods: Broth, chicken soup
- Foods rich in B6 : Pistacio/hazelnuts/walnuts
- Prunes/raisins/dried apricots
- Banana & avocado
Some ideas for snacks in later stages of labour
(low appetite, huge muscle exertion, quick accessible carbohydrates).
These are also able to be packed into your birth bag way in advance and be accessible once you get to the hospital without having to think about it again.
- Dried fruit , Dates are great for labour !!
- Squeeze fruit puree pouches
- Graham Crackers/ bread-sticks
- Dark chocolate/ chocolate chips
- Coconut water!!!
Some ideas for liquid snacks if you are in a hospital setting that only allow clear fluids:
- Coconut water
- Clear apple juice
- Fruit juice without pulp (avoid orange juice)
- Home made labour-ade
- PS: add liquid calcium/magnesium to any of these to keep calcium and magnesium stores optimal for muscle contraction.